The Oystercatcher


Yes, it looks like a Martin. I very happily agree on that. But then if you look very closely and if you´d like to dive into the rabbithole of OM guitars and compare different makers, you´d surely agree that they all have slightly different body shapes even though the differences are subtle. Other things like soundhole placement and rosette dimensions can have a distinct impact on the overall appearance of the instrument as well. Therefore I would call this guitar "Martin inspired".

Some time ago I was lucky enough to get my hands on a very very special guitar. It was a Martin D-28 from 1952 and surely one of the finest instruments I have ever played. And I have to admit that there are very few guitars of this calliber out there but once you handle one you know why they are so highly sought after. This guitar was so much joy to play, the tone dry and compact with just the perfect amount of overtones. And it could just handle everything. Easily.
So far I have always been very curious about other guitars. I just adore them and I like to play them. Not necessarily to find out what is best, there is no such thing, but to find out more about what the guitar can be and what works well for me and what does not. To encounter an instrument of the caliber like this 1952 D-28 has such an impact on me that it pushes the bar of what I think one can achieve in the genre. 

The model by the way is called "The Oystercatcher", inspired by a short trip to one of the North Sea islands. 






 

Comments

Popular Posts