The first Short Scale "Robin"




One of the guitars 2022 was a short scale Robin in Alpine spruce and African blackwood. It was a pretty special build not only because of the exclusive quality of the woods but also because it was the first short scale version of this model I had build and this although I originally designed it as a short scale guitar. So I was eager to find out if my first draft of this body shape would be a good fit for the shorter 630 mm of string length. I fact as it turned out it worked very pleasingly indeed. 
On behalf of my client we agreed on a understated elegance for this one. A strong focus on shape and texture was key. This way I think the beauty of the materials really comes through but also the quality of the craftsmanship because there is nothing to distract the eye from mistakes. Something that is my personal preference anyway but at the same time it keeps the adrenalin level just a hair higher. Using a 2000 € upgrade set of wood for the back and sides does the rest...thank god we did not decide on "the Tree" mahogany... 
The finish by the way is a first as well. Going full force classic elegance it is a semi gloss french polish shellac finish treated with steel wool and wax to give it an even matt appearance.   























 

Comments

Popular Posts