Sunday, 23 June 2019

Finishing the Jay

Here are some pictures of the last steps for finishing my new Jay model. The always nerv wrecking Bridge glue up, putting oil finish on the neck, making the nut and saddle, Fitting the bridge pins.
And then, after weeks, probably months of labor, strings.

Tuesday, 28 May 2019


Finishing one guitar means continue working on the next. Therefore the Martin Style 00 will be the next. It`s boxed up and got its binding channels routed today. I can`t wait to install the herringbone I made for this one.

Saturday, 18 May 2019

The Jay

Sometimes a customer comes to me with a very clear idea about what their guitar should be. This can be about the wood they would like or the sound of course, it can be a certain neck shape and fingerboard width or other features like a bevel, soundport, maybe an unusual model like a 12 fret small Jumbo.
They all have their different stories and I love to get to know the people and the stories and maybe be able to take a little of that story and put it into the guitar I am going to build.

The customer of this guitar told me he would like it to have a birds name (I sometimes gave bird names to some of my guitars). The name should be "The Jay".
The background for that was his first and surname begin with the letter "J". This letter is a continuing, lets call it theme, for his life and family. Obviously the bird "Jay" and the letter "J" are spelled the same but also his girlfriends name starts with the letter "Y". So the J a(nd) Y had even more dimensions to it. 

After meeting and chating and a few emails we decided that the letter J should also occur somewhere on the guitar. My immediate idea was to inlay the letter into the fretboard, maybe at the 12th fret, something like that. So when I prepared the fingerboard and cut the slots I tryed to visualize this letter. I could not come up with an idea how to incorporate it in a way it looks fitting. 
But I remembred the distinct look of the bird the jay with its characteristic feathers. An ideal image for an inlay. 
A Jay resting on a J for the guitar "The JAY".

Saturday, 4 May 2019


Working on the Cutaway parlor gets me as excited as I have been on my very first guitars.

Thursday, 25 April 2019


One guitar is currently getting some finish and this offers some time for the next build. I am very excited that finally after 6 years of Voss Guitars my guitar No. 27 will be my very first Cutaway guitar. Hard to realize how I got around this for so long. But American Claro walnut makes it an absolute pleasure to bend the venetian cutaway and is both beautiful to look at and to work with.

Wednesday, 17 April 2019


It`s all about the details. Here are some of them on my current build. Bound fretboard and headstock. Micro bevel to add extra comfort for the right arm. Endgraft made of black walnut to match the rosette which has an inner ring made of walnut burl. This guitar is now getting some finish and I can`t wait to see how it turns out. Also there are quite a few tweaks I made which make me very curious on the outcome.

Monday, 25 March 2019


Making things by hand.
Is a long process.
It is meticulous.

It is the new posh lifestyle.

It is tiring.

It is physical.

It is motivational.

It is holistic.
But the result is so rewarding.