November Rain





A short scale Jay, a small jumbo build for the Guitar Basar in Osnabrück. I really enjoyed this one and was excited to hear how this model will react as a short scale version. So far I only build them with a longer 650 mm scale lenth. Usually I very much enjoy the 630 mm shorter scale for steel strings and with the final result I found that prooved again. It might be the reduced string tension or the slightly smaller distance between the frets that works for me, I don´t know. Maybe both. 

A small side story about the soundboard I have been using on this guitar. At the end of 2019 or beginning of 2020 I prepared a small batch of tops for the next guitars. They were joined, thicknessed and rosettes installed, then fine sanded up to 320 grid. I started building guitars with them just one of the batch remained in that state. 
In march 2020 I started working from home because of Covid. Things got a different paste and finally in November I moved into my new workshop in Bremen. While packing all the shop I took this one guitar top that already had a rosette in it, thicknessed and fine sanded and packed it together with all my drawings and templates. That went on top into a very packed car and drove from Oldenburg with my brother-in-law and me. And while we did a good job unpacking and shoving everything into the new shop I somehow managed to put the plans, drawings and templates, and the guitar top, aside and forget it outside. It remained there for the whole weekend in the cold november rain and I accidentaly found a big mess next monday morning because I took the back entrance. Needless to say this guitar top was in a poor state. On the other hand it appeared almost like a miracle that not one of the drawings, templates and plans got lost or even damaged. I picked up my belongings and decided that if this top would get back to flat after drying inside the shop I would make a guitar with it. Now you are looking at this very instrument. 
 



































 

Comments

Popular Posts