Is this guitar making already?





I was doing tops last week. One thing I knew before starting my shop on making guitars professionally was that you need a lot of special tools and jigs which most of them you make yourself. For my part I started with very little equipment except some basic tools for handworking wood because my home workshop has been a 3 square meter basement room. Big enough for putting a small workbench hanging your tools and making planes and small furniture which became my hobby by then. I even managed to make a rocking chair in there. But since it is in the basement I didn't even think of making guitars down there.
So starting the guitar making now involves not only making new tools but making tools to make tools for then be able to do some guitar making. Or is this guitar making already?




Maybe it actually is. Because it is necessary to have all these wondertools to execute, improve or fasten a production process.
I've been planing and joining the top boards on my MDF super extra flat planing and joining boards which both consist of two 18mm sheets of MDF glued and screwed together.  




This is my joining setup. I use only two of these clamps so the joint needs to be absolutely perfect. After the glue has dryed the outline is marked with the template and roughly cut it out on the bandsaw before I plane and sand the board to its final thickness.
The next step would be to mark the position of the bracing and glue these on, which leads to the next tool making process. I need a carved out construction board. I've already made some of these using small violin makers planes and a scraper but it takes quite a while to take out all the material that needs to be removed. I thought about using a router but I haven't had a good and idea about how to effeciently do it yet.    




I want to make several different boards for the soundboards and the backs. Therefore it makes sense to put some effort in the how to do it.
I decided for making a special plane with a rounded sole and a bigger blade. This should fasten the process a lot and the time is well spend. The plane will be a James Krenov style wooden plane with a 38mm rounded blade. After about 4 hours of work I had all the pieces made from a blank of maple. Two inner blocks, two sides, a crosspin and a wedge.      




Glued up. The nails held all the pieces together at the right place. 




 After the glue has dryed I cut out the shape on the band saw and defined the shape with a belt sander,...






...then shaped the sole,...




...sanded it all up to 320 grid...





...and applied about 5 coats of shellac.






I hope the plane will do its job well and be worth the time spent. At least it's nice addition to my collection...









Comments

Popular Posts