making rosettes


I was making rosettes recently. I love this part of my job. Being creative with what you got on hand always got me excited.
After I had joined some tops and roughly sanded them to thickness they needed rosettes. So I took some bubinga backs for which I had no fitting sides. These boards came 5mm thick but I need them just a bit more than 1 mm therefore I wanted to saw the boards into two halves. A big challenge for my small bandsaw but it accomplished it very well. Even better then I had expected. A loss of 1mm and I got two halves of 2mm. Through the sander and I got my 1,5 mm boards.

I made some veneers myself using pieces of leftovers and sanded them to 0,5 mm thickness. The one in the picture is a ring of bubinga cut out with a circle cutter and three layers of veneer, maple, rosewood, maple.





The same pattern with two veneers of maple and spanish cedar. I preassembled this one which is easier to install.  This is the inner ring, the next picture shows the assembly of the outer ring and the dry fit after the
chanel was cut out. 















Comments

Popular Posts