Da Vinci


About one year ago I was doing some rosettes and inlayed them into tops. I was doing three at a time, used two of them and made guitars with them. One was left out. It was a special top with great tap tone and, what I like in a soundboard, with some wider grain on the outside.
So the top remained unused, just the wood sanded to sickness with a rosette in it, until I started my latest batch of instruments. Now I wanted to give this top a go. 


For the back and sides I chose some beautiful Honduras Rosewood. But because the wood was to small I made it a three piece back with some bubinga in the middle. The same design is on the headplate veneer. 



During the time building this guitar I read a book about the paintings and work of Leonardo Da Vinci and realised later that his style of working on some of the paintings is quite similar to the way I approached working on this guitar. He might start a painting an do some work on it. But he wouldn't finish it at once. He'd rather do his research or other things that might be of his interest and only occasionally return to it. His customers often had to wait.
This guitars is not a custom order. That is my luck. But I was doing some work on it and then leave it for a month or two because I was going to do something else. Like repair works or even other instruments I wanted to finish first.
So I decided to name it Da Vinci.      



Comments

  1. Hmmm bis Mittwoch ist das Schmuckstück ja wohl leider nicht fertig ;) schade eigentlich... da muss ich wohl noch einen weiteren Termin machen....:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts