A missing Neck


A Spanish heelblock with the slots prepared to fit the sides. Yes, you're right, the neck is missing. It looks like it's been cut off in a frenzy. But the scribbling on the side of the block gives a clue of what's going on here. The neck will be glued on later, like a fingerboard, to create an elevated fingerboard with a negative neck angle. So far the theory, I have never done this before...

I think Thomas Humphrey was one of the first to build with a negative neck angle. He wanted to achieve a more harp like sound because the strings create more of a pull torque on the guitar top instead of pushing downward. Theory as well. I read about it and quite a lot of people have said that these guitars with a negative neck angle do have a different sound.

For my part I build the Spanish way and I wanted a way to create an elevated fingerboard without adding an extra piece where the neck and the body are joined. I wanted it to be one piece. Also I saw a negative neck angle guitar, before I read about Humphrey, from Michael Greenfield and was interested in that ever since. Now I thought about a solution to get both AND build in the Spanish way....

...Just glue on the neck later. So obvious.

So I've done some drawings to get everything right and jumped on it.         





Comments

Popular Posts