birds and saw cuts


There has not been a lot of time during the Doll project (see previous post) to continue my own guitars. I originally intended to do 2 guitars but as the Doll was almost a hole build itself I changed plans and used the in between time to go ahead with one. So these pictures were made within the last two month. It features a couch table mahogany neck (this is hole story itself, this wood used to be a couch table and is perfectly quarter sawn mahogany!) and is made as my two previous models in the traditional Spanish method of sawing two slots in the neck blank, which continues up to the upper sound hole brace, and fitting the sides in these. A time consuming and effort taking method but it provides great stability and a good projection of vibrating energy from the neck to the body. And you won't have any trouble with fret buzzing if the humidity conditions change. 
I used the time the lacquer of the other guitar needed to cure to assemble the box. After the top is glued on the next steps are a days work. And on the next morning the hole thing looks similar to a guitar for the first time!





 





This time I wanted to try myself out as an inlay artist. The model will be called "the finch" so I look for some finch pictures on the web. Several drawings later and after some heavy consideration (I always have a hard time making decisions) I decided to do these two little birds resting on branches ad placed them on the fingerboard. The birds are made of pink, white and golden mother of pearl and abalone.









Comments

Popular Posts