busy busy busy

I don't quite know where to start for this post for I've been very busy and a lot of things happened in the shop. One of the major issues in the last weeks was humidity. When you're making guitars the relative humidity of the shop needs to be controlled, although it makes sence to do certain jobs in the winter time
when the relative humidity in most of our rooms usually is low we have both a humidifier and a dehumidifier to keep things under controll during seasonal changes and weather extremes. For the entire glueing/assembly process it is necessary to take care that the air humidity does not exceed 45 %.

Next thing was doing wood. I bought two big chunks of padouk perfectly sized to cut neck blanks from it. Padouk is a little difficult to work with. It sands perfect but when it comes to planes or any kind of cutting action it is a nightmare because of its interlocked grain (although this feature makes it very suitable for necks).
If you're used to prepare surfaces with planes like I do you'll have trouble. But besides that I like it quite a lot. It's color when freshly cut is amazing (although it changes color rapidly) and the acoustic properties are distinct. Oh, and it smells heavily like toothpaste (my personal subjective opinion...).




I got five neck blanks and enough material for the heels. The first of these necks is on it's way to become a guitar.





I was preparing a second soundboard, too. Here you can see the two steelstring models I am currently making. I drew the outlines myself although one is definetely inspired by the old Martin 00s.






One of the most interesting and satisfying jobs was doing my logo inlays into the peghead. This is the voss guitars bird V which all my guitars will feature. I cut the pieces from maple with a jewellery saw. Then inlayed them with knives and chisels.   








Comments

Popular Posts