The Jay before and after



Talking about changes. I have posted about the remodeling of my OM #19 lately but this is not going that far.

Only a few days after my customer picked up his guitar he called and say he was very frustrated because he scratched and dented the lacquer under the strings near the soundhole. It is typicall playwear but maybe not what you want to see on a guitar that is new and you have only played it for about three hours.
I haven´t had any issues with this polyurethane lacquer but it appeared to me much later that maybe I have overestimated its strength, especially on a soft cedar top wood.
And their was another issue. It needed larger dots on the fretboard. It is funny how your own personal style of playing influences your way of dealing with the importance of certain features. Like for me dots on top of the fretboard have always been a decoration. I hold the guitar in a way I don´t look onto the fretboard at all. The only guidance I need are the dots in the side of the fretboard. But time and experience will tell you there are other people and they have different playing styles, different ways of holding the guitar. And this can result in different requirements for comfortable playing.
I am very lucky to have customers who push me out of what I am used to do!

So I got the guitar back again to do the lacquer touch up and install larger dots into the fretboard. And boy I was so happy about how that changed the guitar. Not only did it need the operation to function better as an inspiring musical instrument for my customer but also I LOVED how it changed the appearence into a more vintagy gibsony direction.

Thank you Jürgen for all the trust and patience you put into me and my work. It was an absolute pleasure to create this guitar for you!


"THE JAY" 






Comments

Popular Posts