Old Growth Mahogany


Here's a little story: Quite a while ago my workshop colleague received an old door. Made from solid mahogany like they used to make the entrance doors for houses.
He picked up the door to see if he could use it and stored it in our shop. It remained untouched.

About a month ago we were cleaning the shop getting rid of stuff we don't need and there was this old door. So he asked me if I was interested. And as a maker of steelstrings I had an envy eye on this door the moment it came into the shop. I started to take it apart. Removing nails, screws and hinges. And boy it looked promising. There were parts big enough for bookmatched 2 piece backs and parts long enough for sides.

Two weeks ago I send it to a sawyer and today I received to package with the wood.
10 Sets of beautiful old growth mahogany!
The doors home was build in the 1920s and it is most presumably the first door installed after the house was finished.
That makes these sets a good 100 years old. I can't wait to turn these into sound machines!





Comments

Popular Posts