work in progress


 
This my new headstock design. I came up with this one for the next guitar. I wanted to try something else this time. As I will use Bubinga (again) for back and sides I liked to use it as well as a headstock veneer to match. I champfered the edges right to the underneath maple veneer to give it a "bound" appearance. 


 

With the neck and the headstock finished and the top and back prepared as well it was time for building up the box! This starts with bending the sides. Here are some shots of the top and back and the back with sides and of the bending process. Bending wood is a wonderful work. As Natelson and Cumpiano describe it in their book it perhaps is the closest to "working with the wood" job as you really "work" the wood using heat and moisture to cause a permanent deformation. After soaking the wood in warm water for half an hour I use an electric bending iron and carefully bend it to shape.







Comments

Popular Posts