work in progress




Ahh...the workshop in the morning. When I arrive in the morning and the sun is shining it makes a beautifully cosy and warm light and I resist to put on the room lighting for a few minutes.
It is funny how ideas change. I started bracing tops and backs for another two guitars and after I had done the tops I spend some days on holiday in Brighton. Coming back I had a some new ideas about my bracing and immediately started another top. The left over top will become a guitar another time but I just couldn't resist to work on these ideas first.
So here are some shots of the newly braced top. The braces are shaped in what I would call very "organic lines". They are quite slim and high, stiffening certain areas. But also the material is quite a soft spruce and it gives a good taping tone. I'm not yet sure weather it is the brace position or the brace material that has more influence on the tone colour of the instrument. But as the brace material that I used for my other tops was stiffer with closer grain I noticed a considerable difference in the characteristics of the tops.





The material for the backs is figured Bubinga and a very nice looking santos rosewood. I also tryed out a bit of a different bracing for one of the tops this time. The next thing is to cut a couch table to pieces and make some necks from it!







Comments

Popular Posts