It hangs!



 The next step with the tool shelf was the French cleat. A french cleat is a very simple solution to hang for example a shelf on the wall. It is basically two boards with a 45 degrees bevel so that they can "grab" each other. One board is mounted on the back of the shelf and the other goes on the wall.
I never used it before lots of people in a lot of forums wrote lots of good thinks about it. That made me curios... The other thing that made me curios was if I would be able to saw straight through a board of 80 cm lenth at an 45 degree angle.




I used my square to check that I stayed at the right angle. You can see that I'm not quite there.






The finished two boards with the bevel. It wasn't too much work to get them ready to be installed, the angles weren't exactly 45 degrees but okay to plane it to the correct angle and staighten the beveled side for a perfect fit.







Here's a view of the back with the french cleat screwed onto. I made the back out of two 40 cm wide spruce boards that are joined with dowels and secured with two extra strips of leftovers. I know there will be quite a lot of force on the back so I wanted to make sure.


 


Drilling holes in the wall for the other half of the cleat and than...the little moment that makes one proud...it hangs! 






Comments

Popular Posts